Ever since I made my Crockpot Pumpkin Pie Spiced Applesauce, I’ve been itching for more slow-cooker recipes to try. This week’s #SundaySupper theme is perfect for the Crockpot! Today we’re bringing you One-Pot Recipes! This is the best way to cook when you’re strapped for time, or you just don’t feel like making a zillion different things for dinner. I’ve posted tons of one pot recipes in the past. In fact, one of my go-to meals is a prime example: My Quinoa and Veggie Bowl! One-pot recipes are pretty popular. Casserole, lasagna, frittatas – these are all recipes that really only require one bowl. And instead of having your protein, starch and vegetable separate, you’ve got your entire meal all in one beautiful dish. A big shout-out and thank you to Amy of Kimchi Mom, for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper! Let’s move on to the recipe, shall we?
This time around, I tried something a little different. I love making risotto, despite the fact that it takes time and effort to make. That’s kind of what I like about it. But sometimes I want risotto and I just don’t feel like sitting at my stove, stirring in spoonful after spoonful of broth. SO, I figured this would be a good opportunity to get some more use out of my Crockpot. I know what you’re thinking…risotto? In a Crockpot? But I did a little research online and even posted on Facebook to see if others have tried this before, and guess what? It IS a thing! You can make risotto in the Crockpot! So next time you’re got a craving for risotto but don’t feel like slaving over a stove, slow-cooker risotto is here to save the day!
This recipe definitely needs some work. One of the main reasons I like my baby Crockpot is because of the size. It helps me keep things portion-controlled since usually I am only cooking for myself. I don’t like to keep leftovers unless I know for sure it will get eaten the next day. I wanted to make this risotto for one night, and one night only. All of the recipes I found online were for larger amounts, so I had to play a little bit of a guessing game when it came to my measurements and timing. I’m going to be trying this over and over again until I’ve got it down to a science! If you have any tips and tricks, please do share!
The outcome was very good. I was pleased and more than satisfied, but some of the rice had not completely absorbed the broth by the end of the 2 hours, and I just couldn’t wait any longer to eat. I was starving! So the top layer of rice had a little bit of a bite to it, but the rest was smooth and creamy, albeit extremely thick. It wasn’t restaurant quality – but what homemade risotto ever really is? That’s what makes homemade food good. If you wanted restaurant quality food, you’d go to a restaurant. This is homemade…it’s “rustic” (what my boss calls anything that may not be perfect) and it’s all mine!
Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto
½ cup grape tomatoes, halves
½ frozen sweet corn
1 cup frozen broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp Gourmet Garden garlic paste
¾ cup Arborio rice
1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Put the rice, your remaining olive oil and chicken broth into your slow cooker. Stir to make sure none of the rice is sticking to the bottom. Add a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir a little more. Cook for about 2 ½ hours. (Side note: My Crockpot does not have setting options, but I would imagine you’d want to cook on medium-high.)
In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, corn and broccoli and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic paste, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Spread out the veggies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour, turning the sheet at the halfway point.
Once your rice is finished cooking, stir in the grated Parmesan. Scoop your risotto onto a plate and top with the roasted corn, tomato and broccoli. Add more grated Parmesan on top if you’re like me and absolutely love the stuff.
Make sure you check out all of the other #SundaySupper bloggers sharing one pot recipes today, too! You may never have to dirty more than one plate ever again! 🙂
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots