Today, the #SundaySupper team is saying “Thank You” with dishes perfect for Thanksgiving or Hanukkah (which fall on the same day for the first time in like, a bagillion years, and won’t happen again for another bagillion years).
We all have a lot to be thankful for and sometimes we forget to say these things out loud. We take advantage and just assume people know we are grateful; we assume that life’s little pleasures will always be around so it’s okay to just flow through each day without really stopping and showing how much you care.
I am thankful for a lot of things. Today, however, I am going to talk about something that is semi-new to my life. Yoga. I have been practicing yoga off and on for years, taking classes at all of the gyms in which I’ve worked, and even took classes at the recreation center while I was at Rutgers. It helps my mental, physical and emotional health and has also been socially rewarding. I’ve met so many amazing people at the various studios I’ve been to. I’ve also been able to introduce a few of my friends to the practice and they’ve become just as in love with it as I have . One of my best friends is an instructor, and I started going to all of her classes a few months back and have been absolutely hooked. If there is such a thing as a good addiction, yoga is it. I take a class on Monday nights that is focused on stretching, deep breathing and relaxation. It is the most rewarding experience and the perfect way to start out my week. So, I am thankful to all of the amazing instructors that I have met that have pushed me to new limits, all of my fellow yogis who get the same high as I do after a class, and all of the asanas that give me strength, flexibility and a sense of purpose and direction – all things that we learn from yoga that have a place in our everyday life.
For today’s #SundaySupper, I’m sharing Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes: a comforting side dish that is the perfect way to say “Thank You.” We all associate food with emotion and a lot of us use cooking and baking as a way to show our loved ones how much we care. So when you’re in need of an easy and delicious recipe to serve to your family and friends, these Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are the way to go. Speaking of thank you, a shout out to Paula of Vintage Kitchen for hosting today’s event!
PS- I was really excited to make this because I finally got to use my huge OXO mandolin slicer for the very first time!!!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
adapted from Food Network Magazine
½ clove garlic
5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1-inch thick
1 ½ tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup skim milk
½ tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
4 fresh bay leaves
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and rub with garlic. Heat the skillet over high-heat. Add half of the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the remaining potatoes on top and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the chicken broth and milk. Grate nutmeg over the potatoes and add the bay leaves. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Brush a shallow baking dish with butter and place the potatoes from the skillet into the dish (if your skillet is oven proof, then skip this step!). Pour half of the liquid into the baking dish.
Cut the remaining butter into pieces and dot the potatoes. Sprinkle generously with the cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden. Discard the bay leaves and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper team is thankful for, and all of their tasty Thanksgiving/Hanukkah recipes!
FIRST COURSE / APPETIZERS
- Harvest Soup from Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Horseradish Cranberry & Herbed Cheese Bites from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Savory Rosemary Baklava with Brie from Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
SAVORY BREADS + STUFFING
- Cloverleaf Rolls from Micha of Cookin’ Mimi
- Freeze and Bake Buttermilk Biscuits from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Picnic Roll from Linda of The Urban Mrs
- Raspberry and Brie Crescent Rolls from Karen of In The Kitchen With KP
- Cornbread Stuffing with Chorizo and Craisins from Isabel at Family Foodie
- Easy Gluten-Free Corn “Bread” Stuffing from Laura at Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Eggless Herb and Garlic Fresh Pasta from Sarah at What Smells So Good?
- Honey Orange Turkey Breast from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brussels Sprout Latkes from Susan atThe Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesey Scalloped Potatoes from Shaina at Take A Bite Out Of Boca
- Cornucopia Sweet Potato Barley Salad from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet
- Creamy Scalloped Corn from Alaiyo at Pescetarian Journal
- Fried Smashed Potatoes from Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grandpa’s Simple Stuffing from Bobbi at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Green Beans with Pecans and Cranberries from Tara at Noshing With The Nolands
- Honey and Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potatoes from Jennifer at Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Italian American Turkey Dressing from Anne at Webicurean
- Loaded Mashed Potato Bake from Lori at Foxes Love Lemons
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping from Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Mushroom and Barley Casserole with Bacon, Gruyere and Spinach from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries and Blue Cheese from Sarah at Curious Cuisiniere
DESSERTS + SWEET BREADS
- Almond Brioche Sticky Buns from Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Baked Caramel Apple Cider Donuts from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes
- Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie from Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Blue Ribbon Meyer Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake from Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Bourbon Pecan Pie from Julie at The Texan New Yorker
- Chocolate Moussecake from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Rolls from Conni at The Foodie Army Wife
- Gingered Butternut Squash Tart from Renee of Magnolia Days
- Hanukkah Lemon Star Cookies from Shannon at Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Manischewitz, Cranberry Double Holiday Donuts from Kim at Ninja Baking
- Mini Maple Sweet Potato Tarts from Holly at Mess Makes Food
- Mini Pumpkin Pies from Nichole at Casa de Crews
- Mom’s Custard Pie from Courtney at Neighborfood
- No Bake Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake from Tammi of Momma’s Meals
- Plum and Blackberry Crumble from Katy at Happy Baking Days
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake from Heather at girlichef
- Salted Butterscotch Pudding from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Salted Caramel Apple Pie from Laura at Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Pecan Gingersnap Pie from Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
All American Wine Pairing Guide for Being Thankful #SundaySupper from Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog