When I think of “Man Food” I think GRILL — anything and everything on the grill. Since I don’t eat meat, it’s hard for me to come up with a good recipe with this week’s Sunday Supper man-centered theme. I mean, men love a good, meaty dish. Right?
I tried to drum up inspiration by asking my dad what his favorite dish is. His answer? Cheesesteaks. Duh. I knew that, I didn’t even have to ask. I mean, the man went to Key West and still ordered a cheesesteak when we went out to dinner. But I’m not about to go posting a cheesesteak recipe on here, because well..that just doesn’t make sense for my Pescatarian ways.
So, whatever, I decided to stick to something I can grill. Because every man loves to grill. It’s like a pathway to manhood. Or something. I don’t know. I do know that these Coconut and Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers were absolutely delicious and I would make them again and again and again. I bought Coconut Balsamic Vinegar from The Ancient Olive in Delray while I was on the Taste Atlantic Ave culinary tour and I’ve been dreaming about ways to use it ever since. Coconut and lime is a perfect flavor combination for summer recipes, especially for shrimp. And yes, I sang “Put the Lime in the Coconut” as I was marinating the shrimp. Don’t judge. You’d do it too.
Thanks to Susan from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen for hosting our Father’s Day-inspired “Man Food” Sunday Supper Event. Let’s all celebrate the wonderful men in our lives. I don’t know about you, but my dad has always been my best friend. I’ve never felt as much love and support from anyone else in my life as I have from my dad. He’s the greatest. I wish I could fly home to NJ for the day, cook him a cheesesteak on the new grill he bought, and celebrate Father’s Day the only way a true Daddy’s Girl should: hanging out with her dad.
But alas, I am not in NJ cooking for him. I’m here, in Florida, celebrating him and all the other great dads out there with my Sunday Supper family.
Coconut and Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers
1 lb uncooked shrimp, shell on
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup coconut balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 red bell pepper, medium diced
1 yellow bell pepper, medium diced
In a medium bowl, combine shrimp with lime juice, balsamic vinegar and cilantro and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow shrimp to marinate. The acidity from the lime juice will start to cook the shrimp.
Arrange shrimp, red and yellow peppers on skewers and get ready to grill. This is the part where you hand off the skewers to the man of the house and let them go to town. I don’t know anything about grilling, so I’m not going to pretend I know this part of the recipe. After I skewered the shrimp, I didn’t see them again until they were cooked and ready to be eaten. This is “man food” so it’s only right that you let the men actually cook the food…
My #SundaySupper friends and I are celebrating our fathers today with a whole menu full of #ManFood. Check ’em out!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog