The tropical flavors of summer are mixed with deep, luscious flavors of vanilla and brown sugar for a Pineapple Upside Cake that is so easy to prepare, it’ll quickly become your new go-to dessert.
#SundaySupper is throwing a Virtual Summer BBQ Party and you’re all invited! Thanks to Jennie from The Messy Baker for hosting! Every week I participate in #SundaySupper, I think about what it would be like if all of us was actually getting together in person and sharing the amazing dishes we create. Can you imagine how much fun (and food) we’d have?! Well, I don’t have to imagine anymore because TONIGHT I will be sharing a real, live Sunday Supper with many members of this awesome group!
Since we’re all in Orlando this weekend for the Food and Wine Conference, those of us who are sticking around after all the conference activities are done today will be meeting up for dinner at Taverna Opa (not affiliated with the one I was recently at in Delray). I decided not to drive back to Boca until Monday morning — why trek back after a long day when I can easily stay over one more night. It’s nice not having to worry about flight schedules and do things on your own time. The beauty of attending Florida conferences!
Anyway, while I’m attending hands-on sessions, blogging seminars and eating yummy food all day, you can check out what the #SundaySupper crew has in store for our Summer BBQ Party. Naturally there will be plenty of potato and pasta salads and lots of things to throw on the grill, so I wanted to make sure we had some good dessert! Nothing screams summer more than a nice, juicy piece of fresh pineapple, especially when it’s laced with butter and brown sugar and set atop a warm vanilla cake. I just made myself so hungry for this Pineapple Upside Down. I’d never made nor eaten one before. One day I was browsing on Pinterest and came across one that looked amazing and decided right then and there that I absolutely had to have one. My roommate had a recipe from one of her old friends and we planned to make it that weekend. I couldn’t believe how easy it was — we did use boxed cake mix which definitely slashes time and effort way down. You could totally make your own vanilla cake if you wanted, but I was perfectly fine with this shortcut.
Melted butter and brown sugar are topped with sliced pineapple and vanilla cake batter is poured over top. Then once the cake has baked and cooled, you’ll flip it over and see the gorgeous topping that was once submerged underneath all that cakey-goodness. The brown sugar caramelizes and forms almost like a crust, the pineapple is crisp and still retains all of its juiciness.
I made the cake again the following weekend. Now that I think about it, I need to make it again. Soon. And many more times after that.
Enjoy our Summer BBQ Party line-up!
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Vegan Boston-Style Baked Beans from Pescetarian Journal
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hawaiian BBQ Pork Sandwiches with Pineapple Salsa from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Roasted BBQ Ribs from Feed Me, Seymour
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.