Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole is a healthier and tastier approach to the classic Green Bean Casserole dish — no canned cream of mushroom soup or store-bought fried onions here!
Casseroles are the king of all party foods. When you’re invited to a dinner party or family gathering and asked to bring a dish, the easiest thing to make is some kind of casserole. It’s perfect for serving large groups of people, especially in a buffet-style environment, and easy to make ahead of time. There are SO many different kinds of casseroles — sweet and savory. Each of us at #SundaySupper have made our favorites to share with you today. Big thanks to today’s host, Alice of A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen!
I can’t believe I haven’t shared this Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole with you yet — I made it for Thanksgiving! But I was waiting for today’s #SundaySupper event so I’ve had to keep it to myself all this time. My family loved the casserole. It’s a nice changeup from that classic Green Bean Casserole dish that is often served for Thanksgiving. There is a slight spiciness that almost tastes like horseradish, but it’s actually from the Brussels sprouts! Because they are blanched and not roasted or sautéed in any additional flavors, they retain their bitterness. But when paired with the rest of the ingredients in this casserole, that bitterness takes on new life and becomes absolutely delicious.
The best part about this Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole is definitely the crispy onions on top. I coated them in a little flour and panko bread crumbs and baked them instead of frying. They add such an intense flavor and crunchy texture to every bite. The only thing I would do differently the next time I make this is double those onions so they are not only on top, but everywhere inside the casserole as well.
I obviously have a new obsession with shredding my Brussels sprouts — they were in last week’s #SundaySupper recipe too! It’s a fun way to introduce them to someone who may not like this particular veggie, and a different way to prepare them. I’m also looking for unique ways to eat my veggies, otherwise I’d get bored. Since it’s a new year and everyone is thinking about eating healthier, Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole is a great choice.
- For the crispy onion topping:
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup ap wheat flour
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- pinch of salt
- Olive Oil cooking spray
- For the casserole:
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp ap flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss onions, flour, panko and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Evenly spread the onions on the prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil spray.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, tossing 2-3 times, or until golden brown.
- When done, set aside and lower oven to 400 degrees.
- Fill a 8-quart saucepan with water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer the sprouts into a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and nutmeg and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in the flour. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute.
- Lower to medium-low and add the milk, stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions on top for the final 5 minutes or until bubbly.
Don’t leave without checking out the rest of the #SundaySupper recipes for casseroles. We’ve got breakfast, main dishes and even dessert!
Captivating Breakfast Casseroles
- Boozy Baked French Toast from Brunch with Joy
- Orange & Date Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Spinach, Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole from The Redhead Baker
Appetizing Casserole Sides
- Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole from Cupcake and Kale Chips
- Savory Sweet Potato and Sausage Bread Pudding from Nik Snacks
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Main Event Casseroles
- Artichoke and Spinach Macaroni and Cheese Casserole from Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Penne with Roasted Cauliflower and Italian Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bison Meatloaf Casserole from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cheesy Chicken Corkscrew Casserole from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cheesy, Creamy, Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from Eating In Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Ramen Mini Casseroles from The Ninja Baker
- Chicken with Whole Grains Casserole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chinese Noodle Casserole from Momma’s Meals
- Crab Casserole for Two from Magnolia Days
- Homemade Poppy Seed Chicken from Food Done Light
- Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Ranch Casserole from The Texan New Yorker
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Ziti with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Mexican Lasagna from MealDiva
- Mom’s Taco Casserole from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Moroccan Polenta Casserole from Pancake Warriors
- Moussaka from Nosh My Way
- Neeps & Tatties Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Quick No Boil Tuna Pasta Bake from Mess Makes Food
- Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Spaghetti Pie from The Messy Baker
- Cheesy, Layered Italian Pasta Torta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Stove-top Four Cheese Mac and Cheese from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Supreme Pizza Strata from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet Corn and Green Chile Chicken Tamale Pie from Simply Healthy Family
- Taco Casserole from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles
- Baked Lemon Dessert from Food Lust People Love
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from Pies and Plots
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding from The Foodie Army Wife
- Classic Apple Crisp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ultimate Deep Dish Brownies from Recipe for Perfection
- Vegan Oreo Rice Krispie Treats from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement