Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad makes a tasty lunch or side dish and it’s full of heart-healthy nutritional benefits.
I mentioned before how one of my goals for 2015 is to cook more from my cookbook collection. Seriously, I have an entire shelf full of books. Desserts, slow cooker recipes, vegetarian, gluten-free — I’ve got a book for everything. I love leafing through each book, marveling over the gorgeous photographs and dog-earring the pages I know I want to come back to later. Most of these recipes serve as inspiration for my own creations. That’s how I got the idea for this Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad. It was also the perfect recipe to share for today’s #SundaySupper theme for Heart-Healthy recipes in celebration of February being Heart Health Month. Thanks to our hosts, Ethel of eating in instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons!
Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable — and a great low calorie substitute for a lot of dishes. You can puree it to look like mashed potatoes, pulverize it to look like short grain rice, fry or bake it until it’s super crispy and resembles chicken wings. But I’m staying true to the cauliflower’s true self and highlighting it for its high content of vitamin C, as well as potassium, fiber, and folic acid. It also contains a sulfur compound called isothiocyanate that protects health and prevents disease.
Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad is not only full of good-for-you cauliflower florets, but it’s loaded with pistachios, another super food in itself. Pistachios have tons of antioxidants, are rich in selenium and iron, and have healthy fats. There are also studies that show eating pistachios can help lower cholesterol. I, for one, am a huge pistachio nut (haha, I had to do it…) and love adding them to salads.
This Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad is so easy to throw together when you need a quick lunch or side dish. It doesn’t require too many ingredients either — and I bet you already have most of everything you need!
Disclaimer: Nutritional facts have been provided by WebMD.com.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 8 oz. bag of Mesculin greens
- Melt 2 tbsp coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the cauliflower and sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to coat evenly.
- Spread out the florets into a single layer in the pan and cook, without stirring, for about 4-5 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- Use tongs to flip the florets and continue cooking until evenly browned on both sides.
- Stir in the remaining coconut oil, paprika and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Add honey and 2 tbsp water and stir until the liquid is absorbed and reduces to a glaze.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Cook until just warmed. Season wit salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on top of Mesculin greens and top with pistachios and golden raisins
Celebrate Heart Health Month with me and the rest of my #SundaySupper family, and take some time to check out the American Heart Association’s diet and lifestyle recommendations.
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.