Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Make this Raspberry Upside Down Cake for your Labor Day celebrations this weekend. Juicy raspberries and a brown sugar coating top the fluffiest cake you’ve ever tasted!
We’ve almost made it to Labor Day weekend! Growing up, this weekend has always symbolized the end of summer, since school usually started the following Monday. In Florida, the kids have been in school for at least a week and summer weather will probably continue through the end of the month. So I don’t say goodbye to summer this weekend anymore, instead I say hello to BBQs, pool parties, a day at the beach or on the boat, and lots and lots of yummy food — and wine!
#SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are teaming up yet again to celebrate another wonderful American holiday where food and wine take center stage. However you plan on spending this three-day weekend, we know there is bound to be some good eatin’ ahead of you. #SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are here to help with everything you’ll need, from recipes to wine pairings, and Labor Day entertaining ideas and tips. It’s time to start planning that Labor Day menu for next weekend!
Light desserts are a must when you’re entertaining during the summer — especially ones with ripe, juicy, sweet raspberries and one of the softest, fluffiest, yummiest cake ever. I finally got to try Gallo Family Vineyard’s Café Zinfandel and it is just delicious. It’s full of the fruity flavors of raspberries, strawberries and watermelon — so this Raspberry Upside Down Cake is just perfect!
I must really like upside down cakes — I’ve made the classic one with pineapple and another one with bananas, but this Raspberry Upside Down Cake might very well be my favorite one yet! Gallo Family Vineyard’s Café Zinfandel is light-bodied and not too sweet, and provides a light, refreshing alternative to the traditional Zinfandel. Give me a slice of this cloud-like cake and a glass of Café Zinfandel and I’m on my way! No Labor Day party should be without either of these components.
Another must for your Labor Day celebration? Gallo Family Vineyard’s Sweet White Blend — peach, tropical fruit and honeydew flavors make up this delicious blend that’ll go great with your lighter party fare. If you aren’t sure where to find either of these wines, GFV’s easy Store Locator can help!
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 6 ounce containers raspberries
- 2¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- Pour melted coconut oil into the cake pan and spread brown sugar evenly around the pan.
- Arrange raspberries over top of the sugar mixture in one layer and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each one is fully beaten into the mixture before adding the next.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter over the raspberries, making sure to cover them completely.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- At the 30 minute mark, cover the cake with tin foil and continue to cook for another 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
This Raspberry Upside Down Cake is like biting into a little piece of heaven. I highly recommend you get on this recipe, like now. While it’s baking in the oven, take a look at all of the great recipes my #SundaySupper friends are sharing today!
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
And make sure to follow GFV on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.