Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
When you’re looking for a low carb and low sugar option for lunch or dinner, make this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Veggie Casserole. Change it up with different vegetables depending on what’s in season!
Some people really don’t like using spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative. I’ve heard complaints about the texture and how it just doesn’t quite do it for them. I am not one of those people. When I first discovered the wonders of spaghetti squash, I made it over and over again — I added pumpkin to it, paired it with turkey meatballs (when I still ate meat), made it Mediterranean-style, and smothered it in pesto. Today, I’m mixing it with tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash and topping it with lots of ooey, gooey mozzarella — because if you’re going to leave out the carbs, let’s load up on the cheese instead!
I kept things all about the squash today, but feel free to swap them out for whatever you prefer. Mushrooms and spinach would be another yummy combination — which I’ve actually done before too, right here. This Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Veggie Casserole is a healthy choice for lunch or dinner, especially if you are cooking for those who may have food restrictions. It’s low in calories, carbs and sugar, and it’s gluten-free!
Speaking of food restrictions, if you follow me on Facebook, you may have seen Saturday’s post about the medical condition I have been diagnosed with — GSID (Genetic Sucrase-Isomaltase Deficiency). GSID is a rare disorder that affects a person’s ability to digest certain sugars due to absent or low levels of two digestive enzymes, sucrase and isomaltase. Sucrase and isomaltase are involved in the digestion of sugar and starch. That’s where the inspiration for this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Veggie Casserole came from. I’ve been looking for low-sucrose and low-starch recipes to make at home, and this hit the spot!
Even if you’re a carb-crazy, pasta and meat-loving sugar-fiend, you’ll still love this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Veggie Casserole. And if you really can’t handle the no-carb thing, just add breadcrumbs on top. I won’t be mad.
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 1½ qt baking dish. Set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to make slits all over the spaghetti squash and cook in the microwave for 10-12 minutes, or until soft. (Can also be roasted in the oven for 45-60 min at 375 degrees).
- Heat oil in a large saute pan and add the garlic, zucchini and yellow squash.
- Cook over medium heat until tender.
- When the spaghetti squash is done cooking, scoop out the seeds and use a fork to scrape the flesh from the peel. It will look like strings of spaghetti.
- Add the squash flesh into your prepared casserole dish and mix in the cooked veggies, diced tomatoes, sauce, parmesan cheese and about half of the mozzarella.
- Mix until well-combined. Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.