You know, some dishes just would not be the same without a sauce. Whether it be a flavorful marinara made with fresh tomatoes, creamy and rich alfredo or a light and refreshing white wine sauce. There are so many different kinds of sauces to go with all different kinds of foods. Today, #SundaySupper is “saucing it up” and celebrating with tons of recipes to liven up your food. Thanks to Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts for hosting!
My favorite sauce has got to be a simple, straightforward pesto. There are a million different ways you can make a pesto; it’s basically just a green, a nut, and a cheese blended with olive oil. So pick your favorites and go to town! For me, I’ve got my go-to pesto that never lets me down. Basil, pine nuts and parmesan. The most important thing to remember here is that you need GOOD CHEESE!!!!! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ever ever ever buy that green container of “parmesan cheese” and think it is going to give you a great tasting pesto. You need to march over to your grocery store’s deli department and ask for the best Parmesan Reggiano (or whatever cheese you are planning to use) they have. The cheese is where you get the most flavor, so of course you want it to be as good as good as possible. Don’t skimp. Don’t be cheap. If you’re going to do that, you might as well just buy the pre-made stuff.
Homemade Basil Pesto
1 container fresh basil
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
¾ cup parmesan reggiano
5-6 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
To toast the pine nuts, heat a small sauce pan on high and pour in the pine nuts. Cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
In a food processor, combine the basil, toasted pine nuts, parmesan reggiano and garlic cloves and pulse. Gradually add the olive oil, adding more if necessary, until a saucy consistency starts to form.
Make sure to visit all the other #SundaySupper bloggers and check out their saucy recipes!
- Port Wine and Fig Sauce from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Jalepeno Cranberry Sauce from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Homemade Steak Sauce from Juanita’s Cocina
- Tomato Kasundi from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Tartar Sauce from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Dairyfree Mushroom Sauce from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Wine Sauce | Moulho de Vinho Tinto from Family Foodie
- Guava BBQ Sauce from Basic N Delicious
Pasta Sauces and Pastas with Sauce
- Red Clam Sauce from Country Girl in the Village
- Italian-Style Tomato Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Guiltless Alfredo Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Sicilian Marinara Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
- Basil Pesto from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Angel Hair Pasta with Neapolitan Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Lentil Marinara Pasta Sauce from Alida’s Kitchen
- Lamb Ragout from Maroc Mama
- Black Walnut Kale Pesto with Zucchini Spaghetti from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Entreés with Sauces
- Pollo en Pipian Verde (Chicken in Green Pipian Sauce) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chicken Tikka Masala from I Run For Wine
- Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Marsala Porcini Mushroom Sauce Over Creamy Polenta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Garlic Mushrooms In Red Wine Sauce from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Jack Daniel’s Honey Barbecue Baked Wings from Chocolate Moosey
- Salmon with Homemade Caper Onion Mayonnaise from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken with Mushroom Demi-Glace from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Mrs. A’s Skillet Lemon Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Philly Strip Steaks with Provolone Sauce and Caramelized Onions from The Texan New Yorker
- Sweet & Sour Garlic Chicken Wings from Big Bear’s Wife
- Banana Pudding Sauce from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Raspberry Red Wine Sauce from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Applesauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Applesauce from Citronlimette
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce from The Messy Baker
- Port Wine Cranberry Sauce from Webicurean
- Pumpkin Caramel Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
Desserts with Sauces
- Sticky Toffee Pudding w/ Toffee Sauce from girlichef
- Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce (over Chocolate Rosemary Cake) from Gotta Get Baked
- Pear Tatin with Rum Caramel Sauce from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Iles Flottantes from Happy Baking Days
- Bananas Foster from MidLife Road Trip
- Baked Espresso Berry Pudding from The Urban Mrs
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.