I really love cooking this time of year. Summer has lots of beautiful colors and fresh ingredients, but fall and winter are just so full of flavor. The #SundaySupper team really knows how to play up the seasons’ best foods. Each week keeps getting better and better! Today we are “Squashin’ Winter” with some of our best squash recipes. Thanks to Heather from girliechef for hosting!
I adapted this recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from a recipe I learned at work. It’s probably one of my favorite side dishes ever. It was written by one of our chefs, Anthony, who is actually about to make his way out to Orlando to open up the newest Publix Aprons Cooking School and be the resident chef! (Shout out to Anthony – congratulations and good luck!). Thanks for everything you’ve taught me and all your inspirational and delicious recipes!
The original dish uses potatoes, but with butternut squash being in season I thought it would be an amazing substitute. Plus, it gives the dish a little more color and a lot of great flavor! If you’re still looking for recipes for your Thanksgiving dinner, Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic would be a great addition to your menu!
I served this alongside tangerine-ginger marinated salmon and cous cous. Whenever I have the chance to cook dinner for my roommates, I really want to make it something special. Nothing is ever boring and I don’t usually make the same thing twice, but with a side this good, it may be making another appearance on the dinner table again very soon.
Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic
1 medium butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
10-12 garlic cloves
1 8 oz. package of wild mushrooms
1 15 oz. bag of kale
goat cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the cut-up butternut squash onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the garlic cloves in a small saucepot and pour in enough olive oil so they are completely submerged. Cook on high for about 15 minutes. The garlic will turn a deep shade of tan and smell absolutely amazing.
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour about 2 tbsp of the garlic oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining garlic oil, as well as the garlic cloves, and add the kale. Cook until kale has wilted.
Add the roasted squash to the mushrooms and kale. Sauté until you see char marks on the squash. Sprinkle goat cheese on top if desired.
Craving more yummy squash recipes? Look no further – the #SundaySupper team has plenty for you!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.