This is also what makes it such a special meal. It certainly isn’t something you’d eat everyday, and usually when you “do brunch,” you’re getting together with family and/or friends for some kind of celebration — whether it’s a birthday, baby shower, holiday, or just the mere fact that you have an afternoon free to enjoy good food and good company.
If you appreciate brunch, then I’m sure you’ve been enjoying the past couple days of Brunch Week and are really looking forward to the rest of the week. Today I’m sharing a recipe that I made for the tapas party I catered in March; Caramelized Onion, Apple and Gruyere Bites. While these little bites make an excellent appetizer or snack, it would also be the perfect dish for brunch.
Caramelized Onion, Apple and Gruyere Bites1 tbsp olive oil
2 Vidalia onions, julienned
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
3 oz Gruyere cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; do not stir. Let the onions sit and cook until translucent. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir until onions are covered in the liquid. Continue to cook until the liquid has been absorbed.
Roll the puff pastry sheets flat onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. There are two sheets in a box; use both of them and lay next to each other to form one long sheet. Pour onions onto the puff pastry, covering it in entirety. Arrange the apple slices over the onions and top with slices of gruyere cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
If you want to give the puff pastry most of a crispy crust, place under the broiler for another minute. Make sure you watch closely so it does not burn.
Brunch Egg Dishes:
- Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Corn Souffle from Hungry Couple
- Croque Madame Muffins from Cooking in Stilettos
- Fajita Vegetable Quesadillas with Eggs and Avocado Hollandaise from Sarcastic Cooking
- Bacon, Cheddar, Zucchini Quiche from The Kitchen Prep
- Tortilla Espanola from Savvy Eats
Brunch Breads and Grains:
- Blueberry Cornmeal Waffles from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Busy Bee’s Granola from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Dipped Banana Hazelnut Pancake Kebabs from Food Faith Fitness
- Springtime Sweet Rolls from Eat Your Heart Out
- 10 Minute English Muffin Cream Cheese Danish from Neighborfood
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Real Housemoms
- Apple Croissants from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fig and Oatmeal Breakfast Bar from My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Brunch Fruits, Vegetables, Sides:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Pistachios and Blue Cheese from Healthy. Delicious.
- Caramelized Onion, Apple and Gruyere Bites from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Savory Truffles from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Orange Marmalade Pound Cake from Love and Confections
- Hazelnut-Blackberry Cottage Pudding from The Vintage Cook
- Surprise Inside Orange Pound Cake from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Strawberry Hazelnut Crumble with Coconut Whipped Cream from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Corn Fritter Shortcakes with Maple Whipped Cream from The Spiffy Cookie
A huge thank you to all our amazing #BrunchWeek sponsors. Please follow these lovely folks on their social media sites:
Stemilt – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Blog
Baloian Farms – Facebook
Woot Froot – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Vidalia Onion – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
Grimmway Farms – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Bonne Maman – Pinterest
Disclaimer: California Walnuts, Bob’s Red Mill, Oxo, Dixie Crystals, Whole Foods Market Doctor Phillips, Grimmway Farms, Woot Froot, Vidalia Onion, Baloian Farms, Stemilt and Bonne Maman are providing the prizes free of charge. I have received product related to these brands to use for #Brunchweek. All opinions stated are my own.