Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Two layers of extreme chocolate flavor covered with even more chocolate in the frosting, this Triple Chocolate Layer Cake is a chocoholic crowd-pleaser!
To all the Mothers, Grandmothers, Aunts, Sisters, Cousins, Friends… To all of the amazing WOMEN out there in the world, Happy Mother’s Day! Even if you don’t have a child of your own, you could be a mother figure to someone (furbabies count too!) and today’s the day we celebrate you and all of the incredible things you do each and every day.
PS- I promise I did not TRY to make two slices of cake look like a heart — it just happened!
My own mother may be a thousand miles away, but we talk often (albiet through her storybook-long texts and emails — love you, Mom!) and I always know that she will be there if I need her. Though we can’t be together today, I’ll be heading home to New Jersey on Wednesday for a nice week-long visit. I’ll spend time with my mom to make up for Mother’s Day, hang with my sister who just finished an insanely successful sophomore year at Temple University, and attend the wedding of one of my good friends! In honor of all these lovely ladies and their celebrations this week, let’s eat cake! Super chocolatey cake with lots of sprinkles on top. Because celebrations always call for sprinkles!
#SundaySupper is sharing recipes for Mother’s Day today. Shout out to Camilla of Culinary Adventures With Camilla for being our lovely hostess!
Last year I shared my Banana Cream Pie inspired by my trip to Emeril’s restaurant in New Orleans, and this year I have this super chocolatey, fudgy and delicious Triple Chocolate Layer Cake. One layer of moist and flavorful chocolate cake intensified with a little molasses, one layer of rich, dense chocolate brownie studded with chocolate chips, a thin coating of chocolate fudge pudding frosting to glue them together and more of that yummy frosting to cover the entire cake. That’s a lot of chocolate — but Mom totally deserves it!
- For the brownie layer:
- 1 box chocolate brownie mix
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
- For the cake layer:
- ½ cup cake flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1/1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- For the frosting:
- 1 large package chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used cashew)
- 1 8 oz. tub of fat-free whipped topping
- Chocolate and rainbow sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease 2 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Combine brownie mix, water, coconut oil and egg in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Pour batter into one of the prepared cake pans and bake according to box instructions
- Cool for about 15 minutes and then invert brownie from the cake pan. You may need to use a thin spatula to assist.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the brownie is baking, combine flours, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add coconut oil and stir on low until the mix will look like sand.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add Greek yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add molasses and stir by hand just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the other prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick entered in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then invert cake from the cake pan while it is still a bit hot. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, combine pudding mix and milk in a medium bowl and stir until it thickens up. Fold in the cool whip. Keep in the refrigerator until your cakes have cooled.
- Use an offset spatula to evenly spread frosting over the top of the brownie later.
- Carefully place the cake layer overtop.
- Spread the rest of the frosting over top of the second layer and over the sides, completely covering both layers.
- Add all of your sprinkles any other decorations you'd like.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Let’s see what the rest of my #SundaySupper friends are making for Mother’s Day!
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.