Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Florida Dairy Farmers in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Start your day with a tender, delicious Blueberry Coconut Muffin and a glass of thirst-quenching Florida Milk — it’s National Dairy Month!
Are you one of those people who leaves the bottom half of the muffin on the plate while you feverishly scarf down that perfectly crisp muffin top? Yep, that’s me. I certainly do not like the other kind of muffin top, but the ones I can happily enjoy for breakfast? Oh yeah — especially when they’re lightened up with ingredients like skim milk, white whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, and coconut oil.
I may have to go for the bottom half of the muffin this time because I am a huge fan of anything coconut. Here we’re using coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut extract and of course there’s plenty of sweet coconut flakes in the batter. Paired with fresh, vibrant blueberries, these muffins make a great addition to breakfast or brunch. Pour a glass of Florida milk — or if you need that caffeine fix in the morning, try using Florida milk in place of your usual coffee creamer.
June is National Dairy Month and the #SundaySupper team is here to celebrate. We’ve teamed up with Florida Dairy Farmers to bring you some of our favorite recipes using, obviously, Florida milk. I had no idea that Florida was such a haven for dairy farming. There are over 130 dairy farms, most of which are owned and operated by second and third-generation farmers. You can learn more about these families and their farms here. Being a dairy farmer is hard work. There’s a lot that goes into the job. Read more about what it’s like to be on the farm here.
Herds range in sizes from 150 to 5,000 cows — and in all of Florida, there are about 123,000! Imagine all that moo-ing! These cows produce about 6-8 gallons of milk per day, and collectively produce about 2.34 BILLION pounds of milk per year.
Want to know more about Florida milk? Check out the Florida Milk Blog.
Milk is rich in essential nutrients and vitamins, including protein, vitamins A, D, and B12, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin, zinc, and magnesium. Celebrate #JuneDairyMonth with us and get the Dairy 101. Also, be sure to follow Florida Dairy Farmers on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup Florida milk, skim
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- Extra shredded coconut for topping
- Turbinado raw cane sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, combine milk, coconut oil, egg, and coconut extract and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Toss blueberries in a little bit of flour so they are very lightly coated.
- Use a spatula to fold the shredded coconut and blueberries into the batter.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out the batter into the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer from the muffin tin to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Now it’s time get in the kitchen and make one of these fabulous recipes from the #SundaySupper tastemakers, and check out the great recipes from Florida Dairy Farmers too!
Milk in the Morning:
- Blueberry Coconut Muffins by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Lighter Breakfast Quiche by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Spinach Artichoke Strata by Helpful Homemade
- Strawberry and Cream Breakfast Smoothie Bowls by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Orange Banana Sunrise Crepes by The Gold Lining Girl
Milk during the Day:
- Fettuccine Alfredo by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Hamburger Gravy by My World Simplified
- Homemade Mozzarella by An Appealing Plan
- Langostino Mac and Cheese with Crispy Bacon and Chives by Pook’s Pantry
- Margherita Penne Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Simple Polenta Recipe by Healing Tomato
- Summer Corn Soup by Casa de Crews
- Sweet Onion Tart by Flour On My Face
Milk in Desserts:
- Boozy Hazelnut Frozen Hot Chocolate by GO Epicurista
- Cannoli Cupcakes with Chocolate Pistachio Crunch by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chocolate Eclairs by Love and Confections
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake with Blueberries by The Hungry Goddess
- Mini Bread Puddings with Whiskey Caramel Sauce by Dessert Geek
- Nutty Cookies & Cream Ice Cream by Family Around The Table
- Strawberry Milkshake by Desserts Required
- Southern Buttermilk Pie by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement