Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
This Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese will even have cheese-lovers going back for seconds…and thirds. With a few simple ingredients — and only one that you may have to do a little searching for — this dish will be on the table in no time.
On this Easter weekend, the Sunday Supper Family is sharing recipes for their favorite easy side dishes for the holiday. It also happens to be Passover, which began on Friday night, and I think (but don’t quote me — you know nothing on this blog has ever been religious) this recipe follows the Passover food restrictions.
Say hello to Vegan and Gluten-Free Cheese. Ah, cheese — the thing I used to love more than ANYTHING before finding out I had to give it up. Well, technically I only have to completely give up cow’s milk cheeses — goat’s milk cheeses are 100% ok and I can have small amounts of sheep’s milk cheeses as well. But today, I’ve decided to go totally vegan for this recipe. And you know what? I made it for my monthly book club meeting, and my friends loved it — friends who aren’t vegan!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a vegan “cheese” sauce that goes great with veggies or pasta. Since I’ve also had to give up gluten, I’ve been on the hunt for pasta that meets all my restrictions. I was able to find a specific brand that is made from chickpeas and produced in a nut-, gluten-, soy- and egg-free facility — woo hoo! Because this “pasta” is literally only made from chickpeas, tapioca, pea protein and xanthan gum, there is no Chametz present, which is what those who observe Passover cannot consume during the eight-day period. Chametz includes things like wheat, oats, rye, barley and spelt — all things I can’t have anyway because they all contain gluten.
This Passover-friendly pasta plus a super yummy vegan cheese sauce is what made this Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese possible — and I was able to enjoy a mac and cheese-esque type dish for the first time in quite a while. It didn’t take long to put together, and would go great alongside whatever main dish you’re serving for the holiday.
So whether you’re planning an Easter brunch or dinner, and need a last minute side dish, or you’re looking for something yummy to make for the remaining days of Passover, this Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese will hit the spot!
Make sure to scroll down to check out all of today’s easy side dish recipes!
Easy Easter Side Dishes
Enticingly Easy Sides
- Cauliflower Cheese Casserole by Sunday Supper
- Cheesy Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Oven-Baked Cheesy Potatoes by My Fearless Kitchen
- Mushroom Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Nana’s Corn Pudding by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan by Cooking Chat
- Buttered Rosemary Dinner Rolls by From the Bookshelf
- Skillet Green Beans with Citrus by Gourmet Everyday
- Tallow Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Vegan and Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Scrumptious Salad Sides
- Asparagus Salad with Pea Shoots and Pancetta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Spinach Salad with Bacon, Eggs and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mustard and Egg Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pickled Beet Salad with Arugula and Feta by Delaware Girl Eats
- Springtime Pasta Salad by Tara’s Multicultural Table
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.