Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own. This post also contains affiliate links.
Customize this Gluten and Dairy Free Vegetable Green Curry with whatever veggies you have on hand. Keep it vegan and add tofu or beans for added protein, or it would be great with chicken, pork, fish, shrimp or scallops! The one pantry item thing you can’t skip in this recipe? Better Than Bouillon!
How To Make Gluten and Dairy Free Vegetable Green Curry
COVID-19 has resulted in many of us cooking at home much more often than we used to. We’re coming up with new recipes using what we have in our pantries in order to avoid going to the grocery store more than we need to. Everyone has their own pantry staples, but if you’re big into Asian-style cooking, I’ll bet you have a can of coconut milk and some kind of curry paste lying around somewhere. Does that sound like you? GOOD! Because you’ll need both of these for this recipe.
Another pantry staple that I always have in my kitchen is Better Than Bouillon. There are so many flavors, including organic, vegetarian/vegan and low-sodium options. Not gonna lie — I currently have four open jars of Better Than Bouillon in my fridge, and another four in the pantry! Better Than Bouillon is easy to add to any recipe, no matter what ingredients you have on hand. I’ve used it for soups and casseroles, and even made a cauliflower stuffing using the Better Than Bouillon Roasted Garlic this past Thanksgiving.
It’s super easy to incorporate Better Than Bouillon into your favorite dishes and really amp up the flavor profile of whatever you’re cooking. The loose recipe I gained inspiration from for this Gluten and Dairy Free Vegetable Green Curry, did not include chicken broth, but using Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken really did add a pop of flavor that wouldn’t have been there otherwise. (Side note: if you do prefer to keep this vegetarian/vegan-friendly, use Better Than Bouillon Roasted Garlic, Mushroom or Vegetable instead of the Roasted Chicken.)
Choosing Your Ingredients
I love dishes like this one because you really can use anything you have on hand. I used zucchini, squash and peppers, but whatever vegetables you have in your fridge will do! Mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, carrots… Seriously, anything!
If you are vegan or vegetarian, you can simply use all veggies, or add tofu, chickpeas, lentils or any other kind of bean for protein. For our pescatarians out there, a nice mild white fish like mahi-mahi (that’s what I used) is an excellent choice so it won’t overpower the flavorful sauce. Shrimp and scallops would be great too! Chicken or pork would also work well. When I tell you that anything goes when it comes to making this Gluten and Dairy Free Vegetable Green Curry, I really mean it!
Gluten and Dairy Free Vegetable Green Curry can be served with white or brown rice, noodles, or if you want a low-carb option, use cauliflower rice like I did. You could eat it on its own, but I definitely recommend pouring it over something that will soak it up. You really don’t want to let any of that thick and velvety smooth sauce go to waste!
Better Than Bouillon is a pantry staple that can take your quarantine cooking up a notch. If you’re looking for recipe inspiration, check out the Better Than Bouillon website, and make sure to follow on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
So, let’s get cooking, shall we? Just a head’s up, this recipe is extremely adaptable and measurements should be based on your own preferences. Taste as you go to find your sweet spot!
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken
- 8 ounces water
- 2/3 cup coconut milk lite (the kind in the can)
- 2-3 teaspoons green curry paste
- 1 zucchini, medium diced
- 1 yellow squash, medium diced
- 1 red bell pepper, medium diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, medium diced
- Splash of lime juice and gluten-free soy sauce
- Pinch of sugar (I use stevia/monkfruit to keep the sugar content low)
- Corn starch slurry (easy how-to in the recipe below)
- Mix together the Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken and water and set aside to let dissolve.
- Add coconut milk green curry to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add in the Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken and water mixture.
- Stir in all the diced vegetables and simmer until tender.
- Add lime juice, soy sauce and sugar and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of corn starch for every 2 tablespoons of water (depending how much you need) until combined into thick mixture.
- Stir in the corn starch slurry until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and serve over white or brown rice, noodles or cauliflower rice.