Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Don’t put away the grill just yet — light ‘er up and make this Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash. The charred, smokey flavors of the grill resonate on the zucchini and corn and bring extra life to a mixture of seasoned chickpeas and white beans.
Did you know that today is National Acorn Squash Day? Now ya do! I love Acorn Squash — actually I think I really like every kind of squash. Pumpkin, butternut, acorn, zucchini, yellow squash… I love them all! #SundaySupper is celebrating all things squash, both summer and winter, by having a Squash Fest! Our hosts for the party are Alice of A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen and Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva — thanks ladies!
Grilling season is not over here in Florida. In fact, it’s pretty much grilling season all year long down here. The temperatures are still pretty up there — it’s been in the high 80s and 90s lately — and people are still spending lots of time outdoors while they still can. Pretty soon the world will remind us that summer doesn’t really last forever and it’ll be dark at 4 p.m. Blah. Talk about being a Debbie Downer! I haven’t quite made the transition to winter squash, so I’m still on a summer squash kick — hence this Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash. Actually, I made this earlier in the month while I was visiting home in NJ. I was on the beach with my parents and we decided we’d have a home cooked meal that night — good bread with parmesan and garlic seasoned olive oil dip, salad, grilled salmon, and my side dish of choice: Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash.
Dad was bogged down with last minute randomness that had him running all over town, so he lost his grill privileges. Mom took over with the salmon, and we decided to throw the bread on there too. I made the Mixed Greens and Beet Salad I shared with you last week and then got to work on the succotash. Grilling zucchini and corn brought such an intense amount of flavor to this dish. I diced up the zucchini, shaved the corn kernels off the cob, and mixed it all up with some chickpeas and white beans seasoned with oregano, garlic and onion powders, and fresh lemon juice for an added zing.
I could eat this Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash all day every day. Mom and Dad loved it too. This would make an excellent side dish to bring to a BBQ or dinner party and can easily complement anything from a delicate piece of fish to a thick cut slab of steak.
Now I must create a winter squash version of this. Roasted pumpkin, anyone?
- 4 medium ears corn
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 15 oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbap onion powder
- ½ tbsp. oregano
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper
- Preheat grill.
- Place ears of corn directly on the grill. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and place directly on the grill flesh down.
- Grill zucchini about 20 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender and grill marks have formed. The corn may take a few more minutes on the grill — remove once they are just about completely charred.
- In a large bowl, toss white beans and chickpeas together. Chop zucchini into ½-inch cubes and mix with the beans. Use a serrated knife to slice the kernels off the ears of corn and add to the bean mix.
- Add garlic and onion powders, oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss well.
Celebrate all things squash with Sunday Supper!
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
- Zucchini Pickles from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Zucchini Relish from Magnolia Days
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.