Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
Sundried Tomato Spinach and Mushroom Tuna Noodle Casserole is a healthier version of that classic childhood favorite made with nonfat Greek yogurt, milk and new Bumble Bee Sensations® Prime Fillet® Gourmet Flavors.
When I look back on my childhood memories, I’m not surprised that there are a lot that revolve around food. My mom made the best chocolate chip pancakes — they were even dubbed “Fran’s Famous Flapjacks” by my friends and always were requested on the morning after a sleepover. My dad made killer grilled cheese sandwiches on the cast iron griddle. Holidays revolved around Bubby’s matzo ball soup, sweet and sour meatballs and melt-in-your-mouth tender brisket — yes, I ate meat back then! Another memorable food moment was my best friend Jordan’s mom’s Tuna Noodle Casserole topped with alllllll the crispy, crunchy, salty potato chips you could ever want. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the healthiest of dishes, but we were kids — who cares about healthy? It was delicious and every time Jordan’s mom was serving it for dinner, you can bet I was at the table.
When I was asked to try out the new Bumble Bee Sensations® Prime Fillet® Gourmet Flavors Albacore Tuna and use it in a recipe, I knew exactly what I wanted to make — a healthier version of that tuna noodle casserole I held so dear to my heart as a little kid. These flavored tuna packages come in either 2.5 oz pouches or 5 oz. cans and are available in a variety of flavors including Sundried Tomatoes & Olive Oil, Jalapeños & Olive Oil and Chipotle & Olive Oil. They combine the highest quality albacore tuna with the finest, restaurant-inspired ingredients. They are perfect for my version of tuna noodle casserole — and the pouches are perfect for an on-the-go snack too. Just bring crackers!
Lightly marinated Bumble Bee Sensations® Seasoned Tuna would also work for a tuna noodle casserole. These are available in 3.6 oz packs or 4 oz. cans and come in Sundried Tomato & Basil, Lemon & Pepper and Spicy Thai Chili. Both varieties have a sundried tomato version so either one of these products could be used for my Sundried Tomato Spinach and Mushroom Tuna Noodle Casserole.
I lightened up the recipe by nixing that one ingredient that all those old-school casseroles tend to have — canned products! There is no canned cream of mushroom soup to be found here. Instead we’ve got nonfat Greek yogurt, cashew milk (any milk will do) a salt-free seasoning, tons of veggies and those crushed potato chips have been swapped out for whole wheat Italian Panko bread crumbs.
You’ll find plenty of use for making this Sundried Tomato Spinach and Mushroom Tuna Noodle Casserole — it’s ideal for summer potlucks, BBQs and dinner parties. We all may crave our favorite childhood food even as adults, but we don’t have our childhood metabolism. A lightened up tuna noodle casserole is definitely well worth the extra ingredients and time.
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used cashew milk)
- 1 tsp salt-free all purpose seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen spinach, just thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup pasta of choice (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight Vegetable Tricolor Rotini), cooked al dente
- 1 2.5 oz pouch Bumble Bee® Prime Fillet® Albacore Tuna with Sundried Tomatoes & Olive Oil
- 1 cup shredded Italian four-cheese blend
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Italian-style Panko breadcrumbs
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt and milk until smooth.
- Mix in all purpose seasoning.
- Add chopped mushrooms, spinach and onions and toss until well coated.
- Add the cooked pasta and tuna and mix well.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 3/4 quart baking dish and cover completely with Panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for additional 3 minutes or until the top has browned.
Tuna is such a versatile ingredient. What are your favorite Bumble Bee® recipes? I’d love to hear your ideas. Leave a comment below and let me know!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.