Never miss a bite! Sign up here to receive new recipes and reviews straight to your inbox.
One food I must have in my fridge at all times during the summer is watermelon. When in season, watermelon is the sweet, juiciest, most refreshing fruit ever and I crave it all the time when the temperatures are soaring. Heading to the beach? There’s a container of sliced watermelon in my bag. Pool time? I’ve got a plate of fresh watermelon coming outside with me. Happy Hour? You can bet I’m ordering the first cocktail I see that uses watermelon liqueur or some kind of house-made watermelon syrup or juice.
You’ve already seen proof of my crazy watermelon obsession when I told you about my trip to the Epicurean Hotel in Tampa. I ordered the watermelon pisco sour at the bar, and our salad had watermelon in it too.
Sorry if I’ve got you all watermeloned-out, but please — just humor me, because I have a super awesome, so simple it doesn’t even need a written out recipe, oh-my-god delicious appetizer for you. Today is all about Red, White and Blue foods for #SundaySupper. We like to have fun with the holiday themes, so in celebration of Memorial Day (tomorrow), we’re going patriotic with our recipes! Thanks so much to today’s host, DB aka Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts.
These Watermelon, Beet and Feta appetziers are technically red, white and purple, but I think my #SundaySupper crew will let me slide and count the beets as the blue component of my dish.
There are no measurement requirements — just slice up as much watermelon, beets and feta as you think you’ll need for your guests. The hardest part is getting the pieces to match in size. You’ll want to make sure you get a block of feta cheese — NOT the crumbled kind in a container. Also, see if you can find already-cut watermelon. They’re usually in a rectangle or square already, which makes it that much easier to slice the same size as your feta. The beets can be tricky since, well, they are definitely not square. I bought a can of quartered beets and just used those, making little slices here and there.
In the end, it really doesn’t matter how you put this Watermelon, Beet and Feta appetizer together. All that matters is that all three of these ingredients make it onto one plate together. Oh, and don’t forget the balsamic glaze. That’s the most important part. Use store-bought or make your own if you so choose — just don’t leave it out. Drizzle balsamic glaze over top to bring it all together into one of the tastiest, easiest, and prettiest appetizers you will ever make.
And it’s red, white and purple-ish blue, so it’s 100% appropriate for tomorrow’s Memorial Day festivities. In fact, I think I’ll go whip up a platter right now.
- Watermelon, sliced into small 1/2-inch thick squares or rectangles
- Feta cheese (the kind that comes as a block, not crumbled in a container)
- Canned quartered beets, cut to mimic the size of the watermelon slices
- Balsamic Glaze
- Arrange the watermelon, feta and beets one after the other on a plate, making a pattern.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve chilled.
Happy Memorial Day! Let’s see what the rest of our #SundaySupper bloggers have for you today.
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
Blue and White Food
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma’s Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline’s Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.